My son finished his Pre-Kindergarten year on Wednesday so were officially on summer break! He so enjoyed this year learning and playing with new friends and is really looking forward to the Fall when he heads into Kindergarten.
We needed a couple of teacher cards/gifts as end of year Thank You's so I headed over to Pinterest for a few ideas and inspiration. This cute apple card is pretty much a direct case of one I found while browsing; I just modified it a little with the supplies that I had on hand. After assembling the apple I added small tabs to the inside of the card to hold a Gift Card and it was all set for giving. I'll be sharing the gift I created to go along with the card sometime next week :)
Stamp sets: Itty Bitty Banners
Cardstock: Real Red, Whisper White, Basic Black, Chocolate Chip, Gumball Green (retired)
Ink: Basic Black
Accessories: Heart Framelits, Flower Frenzy Bigz Die, Bird Builder Punch, Decorative Dots EF, Square Lattice EF, Vintage Fauceted Buttons, Cherry Cobbler Baker's Twine, Multi-purpose liquid glue
I used the Heart Framelits as a "template" of sorts for the card shape. I wanted the apple to be able to hold a gift card but unfortunately that required using the largest heart shape in the set and I didn't want my apple to have a scalloped edge. I ended up tracing the heart onto my card front instead of running it through the Big Shot. To create the shape of the card front follow these steps:
- Start with a standard size card in Real Red measuring 4 1/4" x 11", folded in half
- Lay the largest Heart Framelit (scalloped) onto the card front, with the upper portion of the heart slightly overhanging the fold in the card.
- With a pencil lightly trace around the heart
- Use a pair of paper snips to cut out the heart shape. Erase any remaining lines.
- To create the bottom nubs of the apple take one of the smaller Heart Framelits and transfer the upper portion of the shape to the bottom of the apple with a pencil. Cut out with paper snips. (You can also freehand this step if your comfortable with that)
- The inside of the apple was made with the second largest Heart Framelit and Whisper White cardstock. Cut the heart in half, round out the bottom edge and emboss with the Square Lattice Embossing Folder.
The apples seeds are made with the wing portion of the Bird Builder punch in Basic Black, the leaves are from the NEW Flower Frenzy Die in Gumball Green then embossed with the Decorative Dots embossing folder, and the stem was freehand cut from Chocolate Chip.
Hope this might help you out with those last minute card ideas! I have lots more to share with you next week, along with a much requested recipe for the Hummingbird Anniversary card I shared a couple days ago.
Have a wonderful weekend, and if you happen to be in my neck of the woods, try to stay dry!!